Breathe Easy...We're Your "Indoor" Air Professionals!
(908) 284-2422
READY TO SCHEDULE?
(908) 284-2422

Energy-Efficient Furnace Mandate in New Jersey Delayed – For Now

Posted on

furnace-2Do you have a furnace that needs to be replaced soon? You might want to keep reading.

The Energy Independence and Security Act was set to make it illegal for HVAC contractors to install gas furnaces with an AFUE rating of less than 90% in the North Region of the U.S. (which includes New Jersey) after May 1st, 2013.

But the law is currently being challenged and the Department of Energy released a statement that they will not enforce the May 1st deadline until the court makes a final decision.

So what’s that mean for me?

It would have meant you’d be forced to spend hundreds more than you were expecting on a furnace replacement if you didn’t upgrade before May 1st, 2013. You may now have more time.

But it’s important to keep in mind that there are many moving pieces and the law may still take affect – it’s just not clear when. So if you want to make sure you have the option of an 80% AFUE furnace, you should act now.

Wait, what’s AFUE, again?
Let’s back up for a moment to properly explain this.

AFUE stands for annual fuel utilization efficiency. This tells you how much fuel your furnace actually uses to heat your home and how much gets lost in the combustion process.

A furnace with an AFUE of 80% will use 80% of it’s fuel to heat your home and the other 20% goes up the flue pipe as wasted money.

That means 90% AFUE furnaces heat your home more efficiently and save you money on your heating bills.

So what’s the big deal since the 90% furnace saves money?
Well, 90% AFUE furnaces are more expensive to buy and install.

So if your old furnace dies after the law has taken affect and you need a replacement but don’t have the budget for a 90% furnace, you’re out of luck.

When would you want a 90% AFUE furnace?

You should consider a 90% furnace if you:

  • Have really high gas bills you want to lower (use this excel calculator by ENERGY STAR to see how much you can save with a 90% vs. an 80% furnace)
  •  Have the budget to pay $1500 more for a new furnace
  •  Are concerned about energy efficiency and going green

If all of these don’t apply to you, then you probably need to replace your furnace with an 80% AFUE furnace soon – before the law takes affect.

Act now before it’s too late
If you want to make sure you still have a choice to install an 80% AFUE furnace before this law is enforced, you should act soon.  

Learn more about the AFUE standards increase by reading this article by the Air Conditioning Contractors of America.

Whatever your needs are, Air Professionals sells a variety of both 80% and 90% furnaces. Ask one of our experts which one is right for you.

Or, if you already know what you want, schedule an installation today.